It is important that before you and your partner try to conceive that you are at a healthy weight. If you are underweight or overweight it can significantly reduce your fertility, making it difficult to conceive. Overweight women are also at a greater risk of suffering from insulin resistance during their pregnancy.
Tips for a healthy weight
- Firstly, you need to visit your doctor for a physical check-up. He/she will be able to tell you whether your weight, height, BMI and blood pressure are normal and healthy.
- You should aim to reach a healthy weight. If your goal BMI seems a bit overwhelming at first, just aim to lose as much as you can gradually, every little bit counts.
- Make sure you do not crash diet! This is the worst thing you could do, because you will deprive yourself of essential vitamins and minerals. Just try and to lose weight gradually and safely.
- Exercise is vital! Ensure you work on your cardio and pick a sport that you will enjoy!
- It is important that you take supplements in order to ensure that you get your full day's supply of vitamins and minerals. The healthier your body is, the greater your chances are for conception.
- Take folic acid, which you can find in either specific foods or a supplement, if you are unable to obtain your RDA from your diet.
- Finally, ensure that you are not drinking alcohol or smoking (both men and women), because it can affect your fertility.
So stay healthy and work on your diet and exercise routine! Good luck ladies...and gents!