SPD (Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction) or PPGP (Pregnancy-related Pelvic Girdle Pain) is severe pelvic pain which results from excess levels of relaxin softening your pelvic ligaments in preparation for labour and childbirth.
You have an increased risk of developing SPD if:
- You began menstruating before you were 11 years old.
- You’re overweight.
- You suffered from SPD during a previous pregnancy.
- You have a history of back and/or pelvic pain.
- You suffered from a previous pelvic injury.
- You have a hard, physical job.