Morning sickness is caused by your pregnancy hormones, especially your increased estrogen and progesterone levels. As you need these hormones to maintain your pregnancy you can’t really get rid of morning sickness if you suffer with it. However, below you can find a variety of hints and tips which should help you ease the nausea and vomiting caused by morning sickness.
- Avoiding carbonated drinks
- Taking antacids before bed
- Avoiding fatty, spicy and/or high-fibre foods
- Going for a walk after meals
- Eating small meals continuously throughout the day rather that big meals 3 times a day
- Smelling lemons (it’s a folk remedy some mums swear by)
- Accommodating ALL of you pregnancy food cravings and aversions
- Incorporating fresh ginger into your diet (this includes ginger tea and ginger snaps!)
- Sucking on ice cubes, ice lollies and/or lollipops
- Drinking water after every meal
- Wearing an acupressure wristbands
- Eating dry crackers first thing on a morning (this really works for pregnant women who suffer with morning sickness as soon as their feet touch the ground)
- Taking anti-nausea medicines or a vitamin B6 supplement
- Talking to your doctor about adjusting your prenatal vitamins if all else fails
Every method won’t work for everyone, so try the one you like best and see if that works. If not, try another one and feel free to try a combination of methods. We hope you find something that works!